exploration and use of airships have been sporatic in the early
years of the 20th Century, experimantal craft were used by the
Army and often continental ships were purchased for evaluation
and review. However funding for the fledgling craft was often
not forthcoming and also the useage of the ships had not been
proven to either the Admiralty or Army. When the Great War broke
out on 4th August 1914, Britains airship fleet consisted of the
four former Army airships (now known as Naval Airships number
17,18,19, and 20 when transferred to the Admiralty) and two continental
ships, and a small Willows training craft. Senve ships in total.
Of airfields possesing hangers capable of housing airships, there
were only 4, at Farnborough, at the Vickers porduction facility
in Barrow, at Wormwood Scrubs in London and at Kingsnorth near
Hoo on the Medway.
pre titled Naval Wing of the Royal Flying Corps was formed in
to the Royal Naval Air Service on 1st July 1914 where by only
198 men of all ranks were transferred under the command of Commander
E A D Masterman. This was later known as the Airship Section.
It was decided as hostitities grew worse in the latter part of
1914 that airships would be useful for Fleet observations following
the loss of many ships to submarines in the months of October
and November. The First Sea Lord, Lord Fisher, realised that the
situation had become critical and rapid short term measures were
required. In a meeting on 28th February 1915 he called Cmdr Masterman
and representatives from Vickers and Airships Limited attended.
A new smaller ship was required with the basic requirements that
it should have a speed of between 40-50 mph, carry a crew of two,
160lb of bonbs, wireless equipments and fuel for 8 hours flying.
They should be able to reach an altitude of 5,000ft and their
design be simple in order to both ease production adn to facilitate
training of the crews.
The main requirement was that the new airship, designated the
Submarine Scout class had to be in the air within weeks rather
tests on the first SS craft, the SS2 were made in March of 1915
some 5 weeks after that first meeting. The ship was 70,000 cft
and 140ft in length. The ship was effectivly an aeroplane fuselage
without wings slung below an envelope. The There were eventually
3 types of SS or submarine scout class ships after
the initial prototype was built. Each was quickly and cheaply
assembled by attaching the wingless fuselage of a B.E.2c aeroplane
beneath a simple envelope. Minor modifications were made to the
original design, namely the palcement of the blower to fillw the
ballonet in the envelope, and on the 18th March, less than 3 weeks
after work began the new airship was entered in to service. Admiral
Fisher commented his approval with the famous comment "Now
I must have forty!"
production SS ships differed from the prototype in that they carried
two ballonnets insead of the original one, and a larger envelope.
The main production problems which the contracted manufactureres
had was the supply of envelopes as they were tied up with areoplane
orders. 26 SS type ships were based on the original production
ship SS1. As soon as the SS airship programme was rushed in to
operating in ealy 1915 the work of construction was transferred
from teh Farnborough facility to Kingsnorth, which was soon joined
by a manufacturing centre in Barrow and Wormwood Scrubbs. At the
same time new air stations were set up at Capel near Folkstone,
Polegate near Eastbourne, Marquise near Boulogne on the French
coast, Luce Bay near Stranraer in Scotland, and in Angleset. A
new training station was set up at Cranwell.
this time the rigid airship programme also started production.
More air stations were also planned, with Longside near Aberdeen,
East Fortune on the Firth of Forth, Howden on the Humber, Pulham
in Norfolk, Mullion in Cornwall, and Penbroke in South Wales.
Together with those already commissioned they were soon to provide
a chain of bases strung around the coars from which airship patrols
flew out reguarly to comat submarines. Wireless and ground bases
were also key to this chain with the co-operation between air
and see being vital. Patroling airships were required to transmit
their callsign every hour enabling thier positions to be tracked
and plotted. It meant that an airship commander can call his exact
position when the call forhelp to the precise spot; a vital element
in the anti submarine strategy.
co-operation was essential between air and sea forces in that
no airship could cary more than a tiny fraction of the armament
available to a destroyer of even an armed merchantman ship, yet
no surfaceship could approach the speed of an airship or command
the same wide vision. The airship was to primarily call for find
the submarine then call for help. The advantage was that in the
clear waters of the mediterrenean a submereged enemy could often
be seen as deep as 120ft (20 fathoms) but in northern waters the
direct detection was more difficult. The advantage though was
that periscope moving through the water made a destinctive feather
wake and there were often signs which gave the presenece of a
submarine. Small amounts of oil frequently leaked and could be
spotted as a trail on the surface of the water. Also a damaged
submarine would leak more and be easily spotted.
submarine scouts with the prefix of SS,
were to be so successful on coastal patrols that the Admiralty
wanted bigger and better ships and fast. Three further classes
Coastal, the C* and North Sea
class ships were developed. Each having larger engines, envelopes
and crews than the previous class ships, the patrol duration increased.
with small bombs, these ships proved to be not only observers
but also active participants to the fleets battles. It was common
that a U-Boat on patrol, once spotted by airship, had a choice
of either moving away or engaging the airship in a race. The battle
was between the U-Boat surfacing and being able to mount his gun
and try to bring down the airship, whilst at the same time the
airship would be signalling the location of the U-Boat to the
fleet, and preparing to drop its bomb, before the U-Boat
could take a shot at the ship.
demand was so great for these Scout ships that various versions
were constructed. The following designations were given: SS /
SSP/ SSZ (Zeros)/ SSE/ SST(Twin). The SS Zeros were
fitted with machine guns. 77 of this class were built and were
very popular with the crews. The last class to be designed were
the SS Twins which could carry a crew of 5, with a top speed
of 57mph and stay airborne for up to 2 days.
total 158 SS Class ships were built
occassional tragedies the first SS ships proved invaluable. They
only cost £2,500 each and the proof of their usefulness
is that production only ceased when something better became available.
famous even when an SS ship moored on the stern of HMS Furious,
showing how versitial with Naval activities these small ships
were. This has been stunningly re-created by James Baumann in
his model. To visit more of the models, they can be seen at www.modelwarships.com