1 Single Submarine Scout Class Shed
(302ft long 70ft wide and 50ft high)
1 Silcol plant
To safeguard the shipping lanes in the Irish Sea and the
links to one of Britain's major port hub, Liverpool, it
was decided that two RNAS airship stations based in Wales.
first base was situated on the Isle of Anglesey, some 12
miles south east of Holyhead, and 8 miles north west of
site chosen RNAS Angelsey was built on some low lying ground,
surrounded by undulating hills. On 26th September 1915 saw
the base commissioned. Sited close to the branch line to
Amlwch, which itself was linked to the mainline to Holyhead.
The first commander of the base, was Major George Herbert
Scott, the later Commander of the R34, and Deputy Director
of Airship Development for the Imperial Airship Scheme.
key role of the RNAS airships to patrol the central Irish
Sea shipping. The mail and passenger ships from Holyhead
to Dublin, the services to the Isle of Man, and of course
the large number of freight shipping which rounded the Anglesey
Island headland, in to the river Mersey, and Liverpool docks.
1915 saws the arrival of the first airship, the Submarine
Scout S.S.18. The ship arrived by train, and assembled and
inflate in the new shed. The first flight of the ship was
on 26th September 1915. Three more ships arrived over the
next few months, with the arrival of S.S.22, S.S.24 and
rest of the base was still under construction in the later
months of 1915, and early 1916. As the silcol plant had
not been completed, the ships based there had to be topped
up, and inflated using hydrogen gas cylinders. The shed
was finally completed in February 1916, and protected by
four windbreaks, one at each corner of the two sets of shed
of the training for the crews, they practiced bombing from
the ships by dropping unarmed bombs on a dummy target, arranged
as the same size and shape of an enemy submarine, was set
up on the landing ground. The bombs used were 16lb bombs,
which would make a sound, but not cause any damage to the
The convoys leaving Liverpool were protected down from leaving
the mouth of the River Mersey, then half way down the Irish
Sea. Responsibility of the convoy would then be passed on
to the SS ships operating from the South Wales RNAS base
activity in the form of submarines were often spotted by
the SS ships during the war, and provided valuable service
in informing the convoy and Royal Navy ships, and often
engaging the submarines by attempting to bomb them.
Angelsey remained on duty and operational even after the
Armistice in November 1918. The reason was to act as minesweepers
and mine spotters for an enemy mines which may have still
be laid in the Irish Sea shipping lanes.
many of the RNAS airship stations which were set up just
prior to the First World War, it was decided that the threat
of submarines had passed, and therefore the Anglesey base
and airships were no longer needed. The ships based at the
stations were deflated. The station was finally closed in
October 1919. The Government Disposal Board was handed the
responsibility of disposing of the buildings and shed.
Anglesey County Council agreed to purchase some of the buildings
which had been built on the site, and was converted in to
a small local hospital. The Submarine Scout shed was demolished.
The land where the station was sited, was used in World
War Two as the site for RAF Mona airfield, and remains as
sited there today