Situated on a key location
in the White Cliffs of the English Channel, RNAS Folkstone
was located between Folkstone and Dover.
The station was commissioned
on 8th May 1915. The station had been erected very quickly
started, in March 1915. Originally only one SS Shed was
constructed when the site was commissioned.
Many SS ships were in
operation from Folkstone. The main role of the ships was
to protect troopships in the English Channel, form Dover
On 3rd July 1917, S.S.29
was given the honor of escorting the ship carrying King
George V on one of his visits to the Front. On his return
even days later, three airships S.S24, S.S.29 and Coastal
C.24a provided the guard on the return journey from Calais
A Fourth shed was planned
in 1916, but was never constructed.
After the war ceased
in November 1918, the Folkstone airship station was rapidly
demobilised in February 1919, and all but one airships operating
from the station were deflated. The sheds were auctioned
off and in the Spring of 1922, later demolished.
The last remaining airship shed remained until 1947. Today
the site can still be seen, as part of a caravan park and