Click here to return home 


Airship Sheds
Country : United Kingdom Location: Wormwood Scrubs West London

Situated closer to London than the Farnborough aircraft establishment, and after the purchase of the Clement Bayard II airship from it’s French Designer, it was decided that a new base would be needed.

The site of land located at Wormwood Scrubs situated east of East Acton, North of White City, and West of Ladbrook Grove on the western side of Central London was a perfect spot.


Sheds 1 - (354ft Long 75ft wide 98ft high)


The Clement Bayard Number 2 arriving from Paris at Wormwood Scubs. The first crossing of the English Channel by airship in 1910. Construction of the shed began on 15th July 1909, supported and funded by the Newspaper, the Daily Mail who had assisted in the purchase of the Clement Bayard ship, the site became known locally as the Daily Mail Airship “Garage”.

The Clement Bayard ship was completed in August of 1909 however the ship did not arrive in London until nearly a year after the shed had been completed due to steering difficulties and underperformance of the engines.

The ship arrived in October 1910, however was not long afterwards dismantled and deflated, having never making a single flight from it’s new London home.

The shed itself over the next few years had little use as an airship hanger but was put to use as an army storage facility. I

The Clement Bayard airship leaving from the Astra Clément-Bayard airship hangar at La Motte-Breuil, France, carring 6 passengers. n the pre war years, it only saw the visit of the army airship “Gama”, from the Farnborough airship shed in 1912.  


During the First World War, the site and shed was handed to the Admiralty and renamed RNAS Wormwood Scrubs.

In this time the shed was mainly used as a constructional shed for the new Submarine Scout class airship, where they would be assembled, tested, but not flown, and often shipped out to other RNAS stations by rail.


Beta airship outside the Wormwood Scrubs Shed 1914

The site was later closed in 1919 after the armistice but retained in the 1930’s as site for an emergency landing ground close to central London for any aircraft.

Today the site is occupied by the Linford Christie Athletic Stadium.

Graham-White's aeroplane with the Wormwood Scrubs airship shed behind showing the scale of the building
The Silver Queen by John Lavery 1915 showing early SS ships inside the shed    



The wireless message room at Wormwood Scrubs
Submarine Scout Twin S.S.T 14 inside the shed. The last ship to be made at Wormwood Scubs.
A close up of the gondola of the S.S.T 15 in the shed.


Copyright © 2023 Airship Heritage Trust. All Rights Reserved. Copying and/or redistributing of any files is illegal under international copyright law. Airship Hertage Trust is not responsible for the content of external sites.